Sunday, 20 March 2011

Blowing out the cobwebs...

Here is the result of my recent weekend away at Stanford Retreat in Levin... I've finally tackled my selvage box of goodies... lots and lots of delicious selvages left over from my quilts, and many selvages from my Kwilting Katz ladies, along with some from Yvonne. I think I spent more time working out which words to use on a particular row - such lovely names like "hey cowboy", "in the beginning", "dancing horses", "everything but the kitchen sink".

I also made another 10 blocks (triangles), though haven't added them to the quilt yet... and the crazy thing is it didn't seem to make a dent in the selvage box - wahoo! The grey fabric is a lovely moda from Sawmillers Quiltery. While I was making up the triangles the girls were saying - ooh I remember that fabric and its in [name] quilt! So this is going to be a quilt full of wonderful memories for many of us.

If you would like to add to my selvage collection ... I WOULD LOVE IT!! The best selvage is one that has at least 1/2" fabric still showing... so it too can be highlighted in the quilt, I'll pay the postage to get your fabric lushness to me :)

The pattern I found via Selvage Blog which sent me to Tall Grass Prairie Studio tutorial and it's called SpiderWeb.
I'll update you on progress - the plan is to make it at least Queen-size.
Hope you've had a lovely weekend - and have a great week ahead.
Hugs

3 comments:

Nicky said...

Wow - that is so cool - I've never seen anything like it before.

Kiwifruit-Shiree said...

Hi Julz,

I am alwasy amazed at what wonderful quilts selvedges can make, this looks quite amazing, and I am sure you will be really pleased with the ends effort... and I am sure youe weekend was a riot as well! Stanford is a terrific place for weekend quilt retreats huh!

Jenny said...

Hi Julz

What a lovely lot of selvedge blocks you have made. Lots of stitching in that little effort, no doubt. And yes, we will all be waiting to see the final top when it all comes together.