Sunday, 24 May 2009

Dear Jane...

Spent two hours this morning, scanning my fabrics to save onto the Dear Jane software programme (into my sketch book) and then played while changing the design in my sketch book so that it showed the Row A blocks that I've started to make, in my fabrics... then I got brave and started cutting out the first couple of blocks...



Well here is Block A1 (green) and Block A2 (blue) that I've made today - can you notice the hideous mistake! Block 1 has come out at just over 6" unfinished and the Block 2 has come out at the correct size 4 1/2" unfinished........... totally unsure as to what's gone wrong with Block 1 measurements as have made sure I printed the instructions so the blocks were all the same size - will have to go back to the cutting board and start again...

Lessons learnt:

* Don't trust the measurements that are written in front of you.
* Press, Press and Press ALL your seams with hot iron as you make each join.
* 4 1/2" blocks means little pieces - challenge in itself
* Only 165 more centre blocks to go (well 166 actually as need to remake block 1) !!


Hugs

2 comments:

Susan said...

I've been learning not to trust the software directions the hard way too, Julz. I've found more than a few mistakes...especially in the rotary cutting directions. The paper pieced patterns seem to be most accurate, but do make sure to mirror the image before printing. They don't all need to be reversed, but it's better to just get in the habit of reversing them all to avoid problems. Good luck!

Shiree said...

Hi Julz,
stick at it, so hard doing such tiny stuff isn't it. I just love the colours you are using for your BOM, they are wonderful!